8-Month-Old Adeline

Adeline is 8 months old!!






Sweet girl has decided she wants to be awake longer, which is great by me - we love having her company! She can't really seem to decide what time suits her best though... Some days she wakes up an extra hour (or two!) early. Some, she wakes normal time but then wants to go to bed an hour and a half later. And other times, she barely takes a morning or afternoon nap. So we are sorta trying to figure out her new sleep/wake schedule at the moment!

She loves to roll around to play with her toys. She's sitting up - assisted. That seems so late to me, but apparently there's a very large "normal" range for sitting up on their own. I have a feeling she will become stable sitting up and learn to crawl very quickly after! She loves playing with her feet and lying on her tummy. Playing on her tummy (or rolling) with toys and playing in the exersaucer are two of her favorite activities!

Adeline cut her first two teeth! Both on the bottom! And last week I thought baby girl had another ear infection, but the nurse practitioner at our pediatrician said her ears only had a bit a of fluid in them and that there was no infection - most likely a result of teething! The odd part is that she started acting agitated immediately after cutting her second tooth, so I think her issue was her ears and other side effects of teething.

Adeline said her first words this month! "Da da" and "nigh nigh" - two of her favorites!

Lilleigh and Adeline adore each other, and I love watching them play. It will be so fun for them one day to share a room and to get to chase after each other!

As far as solids go, I sorta just did what I call an "instinctual" approach with Lilleigh, which consisted on some purees but mainly me just giving her itty bitty bites from my plate that she could tongue and swallow. This round, I began doing that, but then a friend gave me her Baby Led Weaning book. Honestly that book just makes so much sense to me! I started doing that. The idea is that babies learn to chew before they learn to swallow. So instead of taking the lead in solids, let the baby do it. Give them a sliver of avocado or strawberry or what not. Let them hold it and put it in their mouths. At first they just play with it and explore. But eventually they learn to chew it and finally, to swallow it. It's a great approach, in my opinion, because it lets the baby assert their independence. (They have been nursing on their own for awhile anyway - choosing when to start and stop - so why take that independence away now?) It also frees up Mom and Dad to eat their own food, instead of spoon feeding the baby. We still do yogurt sometimes, but I'm mainly just letting her do her thing. Right now she's been playing with it, sticking it in her mouth, and trying to chew. She's making progress! We did have homemade refried beans the other night, and she loved that!



Adeline loves facing out in the sling! I love the Ergo because it's comfortable, but I hate that Adeline can't face out in it. So I am exploring options for summer baby-wearing... Advice welcome!

I'm posting this one day after her 8 month birthday, but I really think she just said "Ma Ma"!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Bubs!

March {in photos}

Peanut butter and jelly