Weekend









This weekend our sweet Sammy dog tore her nail at the vein. She had to go to the vet to get it all bandaged up. Of course, she hated the vet, but she was so brave! I am hoping her paw will heal soon!

Last night we watched Seven Pounds, which I thought it was a great movie. Sad in some parts. Disturbing in others. But great overall. There's much more to say, but first a SPOILER ALERT. If you haven't seen the movie and plan to, stop reading now.

Basically, Will Smith's character, Ben, accidentally kills seven people in a car accident. Consequently, he blames himself for the seven lives that were lost and vows to give life to seven other deserving people. Now, this is probably the counselor in me coming out, but the whole time I was just thinking, "Man this guy needs to see a therapist." And I don't say that nonchalantly. My heart really went out to him. I truly think counseling has a valuable place in the life of a hurting individual. That said, I'll get back to the movie.

I think it's interesting that in so many movies, the hero seems to have a Jesus-complex, meaning he or she feels it is up to them to save everyone else. Ben, in this movie, was no different. This in itself is not bad. However, Ben feels so much guilt from the deaths of those seven that he feels he must make atone for their lives. What really struck me though was the people he chose to make atonement through. They were all wonderful people. But that's precisely the problem. He chose people based on their worthiness. If God did that with us, we would all be in serious trouble.

Having said all that, though you may not believe it, I actually thought Seven Pounds was a great movie. I realize it was in no way meant to depict the Gospel, so I may sound overly critical. But I just had a lot of thoughts about the Jesus-complex deal that I felt I needed to share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Bubs!

March {in photos}

Friendships and Answered Prayers