The Name Sammy



If you've read this blog long enough (or at all), you know that my sweet Australian Shepherd is named Sammy. And yes, SHE is female. People often assume Sammy is a male because of her name. I must say that I find this odd because while I have known Samuels, I have never known one that goes by Sammy... I've only known Samanthas to go by that. I can think of two female Sammys off the top of my head and no males. So needless to say, we did not intend to give her a male name... and even now, I still believe it's a name fit for a female!

Okay that said, how did we come up with her name? For those of you who are sentimental, you'll love this story. For those of you who aren't, it's cheesy. But go with it! :)

When I was young I had a stuffed dog with a Santa hat that I carried with me EVERYWHERE. That dog was so loved. The fur was rubbed and matted. But I just loved it. The dog's name was Sammy.

When I was six, I took to dog Christmas shopping with us. And somehow, at the end of the day, the dog did not make it home with us. I couldn't sleep. I cried and cried. My parents called every store we had been to, searching for Sammy, but no luck. Then my parents came up with an idea.

The Velveteen Rabbit, the movie, had just come out, and of course, we had seen it. My brother and I loved it. He even had a stuffed Velveteen rabbit that he slept with. Like Sammy, his rabbit was very worn. I digress... from the movie, my parents came up with an idea. They decided to tell me that because I loved Sammy so much, he had taken Sammy to his workshop to make him into a real dog. Being six, I totally bought it.

But then years went by, and I never got my real life Sammy dog. How sad is that! I mean, we did get other dogs. But none looked like Sammy, and none had the name Sammy. (You really have to be concrete about it with small children. Same look. Same name. Clearly define that this is the dog.) So I decided that when I "grew up," I'd get my own dog and name it Sammy. Pitiful, huh? Yes, you should feel sorry for me... such a terrible upbringing. Ha. If that's my worst complaint, I think I had a good life.

Needless to say, I actually did get a dog and name her Sammy. Luckily my hubby liked the name! When we adopted Sammy (Read her story here.), her name was actually Sandy. It was so close, that the change didn't really matter. How perfect is that?

Comments

  1. how sweet....i'm totally sentimental, so I love stories like this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Bubs!

March {in photos}

Friendships and Answered Prayers