Friendships and Answered Prayers

I'm grateful. I keep trying to think of something clever or cute or sweet to start this post, but these are the words that come to mind. The Lord has continually provided me with sweet friendships throughout my life, and I am grateful.

This season, the anniversary and birthday of my brother, always makes me reflect on friendships. I had a few sweet friends drive in from Dallas to be with my in Houston after Austen died. And I had many of my Houston friends, from growing up, show up to help and comfort and off condolences. Not to mention, many of Austen's friends were my friends, and my friends, his friends. Regardless, I was in awe at how the Lord prompted these sweet friends in their words, their actions, their showing up, when we needed them.

In the months before Austen died, I had been in a season of desperation and loneliness. I was 25 years old and in my third and final year of graduate school. I had graduated from SMU three years prior and gotten married. Going into graduate school, I expected friendships to just come easily, like they did in college. The thing is graduate school isn't like that - people are in all walks of life, older and younger, kids and no kids, married and single, living nearby and commuting from afar. And while many of my friends from college did live nearby, they had started full time jobs and were adjusting to that big life change. Or they weren't yet married. Friendships just aren't the same. I know that now. But I didn't then.

About two years into my time at DTS, I started praying for a friend. And let me say, I did have friends at DTS, ones I still keep up with on social media some, but we didn't really get together off campus. It didn't really satisfy the desire of my soul in the season. I really wanted a true friend that I could walk through life's hard stuff with and get together with for a girl's night outside of class.

I started praying fervently. And I'm still in awe of how the Lord answered this prayer. Before I share, I do need to also say one of my best friends from college was experiencing a similar season. She had recently moved a couple of suburbs North, so we didn't see each other quite as often. She was a few years into teaching, marriage, and serving in Young Life. In the same way, just so desperate for a true friend, near her, to live life alongside. We started praying together, this same prayer, that God would provide us each at least one friend where we were.

That spring of 2010, we each found a friend. And both of those friends were named Kim. The same season. The same name. Clearly our answers to our prayers. Y'all. It's the weirdest, most amazing thing. And it makes us laugh and just stand in awe to see the way He answered our desperate prayers.

Not even a month before Austen's death, my Kim and I were just classmates who sometimes hung out on campus. One night we went to something off campus together, an assignment for class. We grabbed dinner first and exchanged life stories and realized we actually had a lot in common. We became fast friends. Kim is one of those that jumps into action and does what's needed. She will talk you through all the things and be a voice of reason. Kim was with me when I got the call about Austen. She left class, with another friend, and drove me home. She got me packed up, got me a plane ticket, and drove me to the airport. She made me a scrapbook, helped me figure out school stuff I had missed, sent me Scripture, and organized a meal calendar. She sat with me as I grieved and eventually directed me to a counselor. (Just saying, if you're 25 - or older - and haven't seen a counselor, it's time.) The Lord knew the kind of friend I would need.

Today Kim lives in Virginia, but she's still one of my dearest friends. To say I'm grateful for her is an understatement. When I think of Kim, "gratefulness" and "answered prayer" are what come to mind. After all these years, her friendship is the sweetest reminder to me of the Lord giving us what we need, even before we know we need it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Bubs!

March {in photos}