Adeline's Birth Story, Part 2

Part one here

I woke up Brendon at 5:30 AM, knowing I was in labor. The cramping was enough that I needed to get out of bed because I couldn't rest any longer. The contractions actually seemed stronger laying down. We both began packing a bag for the birth center and a bag for Lilleigh for the day.

Around 6 AM, I got into the bath tub, knowing it would help me to progress. I stayed there for around 30 minutes, after which time I contacted my doula, Jen, to tell her, "Awesome timing I know, but I'm in labor!" She was just pulling out of her garage to go meet her other client at the hospital for the induction. Jen called her back-up doula for the other client, since I was the one actually progressing, and arrived at our house around 7:30.

Between my bath and Jen's arrival, I walked laps around our house. I really wanted to take Sammy on a walk, but it was pouring down rain. I settled for walking indoors. It was fortunate too because at this point I was having to physically stop during contractions and brace myself on a chair, wall, whatever was around. They were beginning to need my full concentration.

Jen arrived at our house at the same time Lilleigh woke up. Brendon told her the big news, that today would be the day, and he got her breakfast ready and let her watch a show. It was amazing how Lilleigh waking up and Jen arriving indeed slowed down my contractions. Totally normal when new people come on the scene. Jen predicted that when Lilleigh left, they would pick back up, and guess what - they did.

Brendon took her over to our neighbor Holly's house around 8:30. Sure enough, it only took about 10 minutes for the contractions to pick back up. It was during this time that I first thought, "I don't even know how we would do this without a doula." It was so nice to have someone to be able to focus on me, while at the same time allowing Brendon to focus on Lilleigh, keeping her calm and happy, as he got her ready for a fun day at a friend's house. Having a doula was instrumental for many reasons, more than just allowing for Brendon to care for Lilleigh, have a bathroom break, talk to the midwife (later), etc. She really knew the best techniques to use to help my particular labor, and she could be the clear mind when Brendon (and me...) could not be. I could go on and on, but from now on, I will always have a doula.

I continued to labor at home a bit longer. For the most part, I was either standing, leaning forward on the dresser or Brendon, or I was on all fours. Jen had long rice packs that she would heat in the microwave and place on back to ease the pain. Since she had two, they were constantly in rotation. Brendon massaged my lower back continuously.

I also used doTerra essential oils while I was at home. I had a labor blend that I had made with 1 tsp. of fractionated coconut oil, 10-15 drops of Lavender (for pain and calming), 10-15 drops of Frankincense (for the pain, stronger than the lavender), and 10-15 drops of Clary Sage (to help me progress and make my contractions more productive). I applied this to my stomach and also held up the Clary Sage some just to smell, since it is effective that way as well. At one point, I did use Peppermint for nausea, by just putting some drops in my hands, lifting them to my nose to smell/ breathe in, and then rubbed my hands on the back of my neck. Lastly, I also used Black Pepper oil on my back. In case you haven't already picked up on it, I did indeed have back labor. Again. Pretty sure I always will. Anyway, I asked Brendon to put some Black Pepper on my back. He did, and immediately the pain was gone. It was amazing. But suddenly I felt the contractions intensely in my stomach, which I had not before because the back pain was overpowering that. I had no idea how to cope with this new pain, so I never asked for that oil again. Brendon actually had no idea it had worked at all until we talked later. That Black Pepper. Powerful stuff.

I labored at home until 9:30, when I called my midwife and we drove to the birth center. We arrived there around 10 AM, and I could tell transition was coming, though not there yet. (A big improvement from last time with Lilleigh when I transitioned at home and was then fighting the urge to push in the car!)

My midwife filled up the birth tub, as my contractions got more intense.

Thankfully after not too long, the tub was full enough for me to labor in... really it was probably close to 45 minutes or so, but I was in too much pain to notice the time. When I got in, oh my word, it was so hot... definitely more like a hot tub than a bath tub. I didn't mind because it helped the pain. A lot. But wow, really hot. I labored in there for about 45 minutes. Brendon got in there too and massaged my back. I began feeling the urge to push and was ready to get out. I totally was down for a water birth, but I just could not last in the heat one more second.

When I got out, my water broke. I pushed on the bed for about 15 minutes in a side crunch position. This part seemed much more painful that I had remembered, mainly because my legs were aching terribly. The back labor with Lilleigh diminished once she changed positions during transition. Adeline clearly had not finished rotating though. Thankfully it took 15 minutes (as opposed to an hour 45 minutes with Lil) to push her out! I had asked my midwife to use Frankincense on me as the baby was crowning, and I am pretty sure she poured like the entire 5 ml bottle on me. But let me just say, I did not feel the ring of fire! Did it hurt? Sure. But no fire. So worth the money for that costly oil! I am also pretty sure this is why when Adeline came out (on her side! ...hence back labor), she only let out one small cry. No crying. I have no doubt all that Frankincense helped her little head not to hurt. If I could recommend one oil for birth, Frankincense is it.

Finally labor was over, and we got to meet our precious gem! Adeline Elise was born right at noon. 7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches long. We are so in love!


Popular posts from this blog

Peanut butter and jelly

Country-ish Life So Far

Samaritan Ministries Q&A: Share the Burden