Weaning the Morning Feed

This post is mainly for my memory, so I'll be able to remember when I have future babies how things went down with weaning Lil.

I've mentioned before that since Lil was 7 months old, she's been waking up at 5ish to nurse. I'm sure this was a case of what the Baby Whisperer would call "accidental parenting" because she slept a full 12 hours early on and then regressed. Still, I didn't complain because that early feed also meant she slept in till 8:30 or 9. Recently though I decided it was time to drop this feed. I mean really shes 15 months!

We started this Friday night/Saturday morning. For some reason on Saturday morning she decided to wake up a lot earlier. Brendon went in, picked her up, and tried to comfort her before putting her back in there. I'm guessing he was in there 20-30 minutes, but she kept crying because she did not want daddy. So eventually he put her in her crib and left the room. She cried another 15 minutes before falling back asleep. She did wake up again a few hours later, but when Brendon went in, rather than me, she got the idea.

The second morning was similar. Each time Brendon would go in there, she'd let out a huff and lay herself back down. But she still didn't want him to leave the room. After not too long though, she did go to sleep.

The third morning was Monday. She did wake up around 5 ad cry, but when Brendon came in, she immediately laid down. He covered her with her blanket, and she went to sleep. No big deal.

Tuesday and Wednesday mornings she did not even bother getting up! Hallelujah!

I was expecting this morning wean to be a huge battle because apparently at this age, such a venture can take a good week. This also just shows that she really was ready to give up that feed.

Now that we have dropped that feed, she's been getting up closer to 7, which is normal for kids her age I think. And her 1-1/2 hour nap has become a more consistent 3 hour nap! Double hallelujah!! Mom can finally get things done again!

We are still nursing once before bed, but that's it. I'm sure we will cut that one out sometime this summer, but for now, things are great. Slowly but surely!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Bubs!

March {in photos}

Friendships and Answered Prayers