Schedule or no schedule?

I know there are moms that do everything by the book and have their babies on a strict schedule, eating at 9 AM, noon, 3 PM, and 6 PM. That's not me. Sometimes I wish it were. Not because I want a strict schedule. That would make me crazy! Never did I think Miss Planner (mwah) would say that! My how I've changed in the past few years! Ha! But the schedule does make things simpler at times.

Then there are the moms that do everything on demand. Naps on demand. Feed on demand. I hate the loosey-gooseyness of this non-schedule. Sometimes I fear I fall into this category.

So where do we fit in?

I try to be somewhere in the middle. I usually can't do 4 feedings, but sometimes we can do 5, since we stretch them out earlier in the morning and later in the evening. But if Lil needs 7 one day, that's fine. I don't really stress over it. I figure she'll tell me when she's hungry. She knows. But at the same time, going a full three hours between feedings means she'll eat better at each feeding. At least that's the case for Lilleigh. Granted the whole no-bottle-thing complicates matters. (Instead of feeding at 9 and then noon, if we have to be somewhere are 11:30, she gets fed again at 11, before we walk out the door! So much strategy involved! I guess a tight schedule wouldn't work for us anyway with this issue.)

Naps throw things off too. If it's been more than an hour or so since she was last fed, Lil wants to nurse prior to nap. Does anyone else have this issue?? And the amount of solids she's eaten doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyways, on days when things are timed well (in my opinion), she goes almost a full 3 hours between feedings and naps correspond with that. Oh to be in a perfect world! Nap times are loosely 9-10:30/11 and 1-3 or 4. And since she often does an early morning feed at 4 or 5, things generally progress from there.

It seems like most of my mommy friends have their babies on strict schedules, but I know this cannot be true of everyone in the world... maybe I have a lot of type A friends? :) Anyway, I thought I'd ask you... what's your routine look like with your little ones?

Disclaimer: I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I go with it! :) I think being more laid back has given me an easy adjustment to motherhood.

Comments

  1. I am exactly like you as far as mindset goes when considering scheduling, on demand, etc. Sally generally naps at the same times each day (around 10:30 or 11 for about an hour) and then around 2 or 3 for about an hour. Although some days she has one big long nap (3 hrs. around noon). It just depends. She gets up around 8 and goes to bed around 8:30. We were doing well with having fewer night feedings, but lately, she wants to eat more often at night. I haven't been fighting it though. I guess I am just waiting for her to outgrow it? I do the same thing as you if we are about to go somewhere. I just feed her before we leave, whether it is "time" or not. She goes anywhere from 2-3 hours between feedings, which is not optimal, in my opinion. But I think it also has to do with my milk supply during the day. I feel like I don't have as much during the day, so she eats more frequently. This probably has something to do with her eating more at night. So, anyway, that is what our day is like. Sophie was a TOTAL schedule baby and still is. Although, as she has gotten older, she can go a lot longer between eating and can go for a while in the afternoon before you can really tell she is tired and ready for a nap. Oh, and lastly, Sally also likes to be nursed to sleep before naps. Sometimes I will do it (like if I think she is likely to get hungry mid-nap and wake up early) and sometimes I don't. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Makayla isnt as old as Lil (she's 4 months and 1 week)..we kinda have a schedule but I don't force it on her either (if that makes sense). She usually eats around 11pm..bed around midnight..up somewhere between 7-9am..feed..back to bed till around 11-noon..feed..another feeding around 3pm..then around 6pm..then around 9pm. Naps just are something that can come and go..usually she'll fall asleep in her bouncy chair around 730-8pm..and in her crib during the day around 1pm. BUT..everyday definately isnt the same!! I'm like you..she lets me know when she's hungry! They are just like us..we wouldnt want to be forced to eat when we're not hungry (or to go to sleep likewise). I enjoyed this post..I love hearing about other mommies feeding routines!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Bubs!

March {in photos}

Peanut butter and jelly