Problem in Paradise

There is so much I could say to update you all on things here and all that God is doing in my heart. They are sorta one in the same, but they stray at times. Bear with me.

On Sunday after Group Link (church event, where we had Lil in childcare), Lil was a grump. They said Lil had bonked heads with a little boy and just couldn't get over it. Poor thing! These last few Sundays, she's only had one nap because we've only had 2-1/2 hours between church and Group Link, so that's all our schedule has allowed. It's not ideal for her, as she's still going strong on two naps, but she's a trooper! Anyway, we just kinda attributed her fussiness to that. When we got home around 4, she actually took a second nap! Getting her to nap after 3 PM is kinda unheard of, so clearly she was exhausted!

Upon waking up from that nap, she was warm, so we took her temp. 100.8. When we set her in a comfy chair, and she started to slump over, it was clear that she was still super tired! We had dinner, gave her a bath, and put her back in bed. She resisted sleep for awhile. She'd lay on Brendon's chest (Have I mentioned she's a MAJOR daddy's girl at the moment?) or shoulder, but the second he would try to put her down, she'd cry. A mom friend was actually coming over to watch her, so Brendon and I could have date night. Needless to say, we canceled and hung out at home with Lil Lil. We tried to put her in bed at 7 (fed, bathed, nursed, read story all before this), but as I recall she didn't end up in her crib asleep until 8:30. Even then, I thought it was odd that when I looked at the monitored, she had rolled to her tummy, and propped herself up with her knees.

That night her fever broke, but things weren't too different other than that. I had chalked it up to teething (great scapegoat, and probably fairly accurate). She didn't want to nap in her crib, though she'd gladly fall asleep in my arms or her car seat. Seriously, seems like a clingy baby to me! So last night when she refused to sleep, I let her cry for 40 minutes! (Well 20 because then she fell asleep and drifted in and out.) But then she woke up again 45 minutes later - screaming crying! So I went in and held her. She immediately calmed down. I'd try to nurse, but she shook her head that she wasn't hungry. I was at a total loss and on the verge of a melt down myself. Finally Brendon got home from his Dealing with Divorce class (where he serves at church) and relieved us both. (Remember, Daddy's girl.)

That's when I went into the kitchen, sat on the floor, and cried. The last 2-1/2 days have been completely draining. Lil has never been a difficult baby, so why now?? I thought I was supposed to have these sob fests when she was a newborn and not sleeping, not at 1! And through it all, I prayed and prayed. But I hated what God was showing me through all of this - my own selfishness. That I'd rather have just a couple of hours to myself than hold my inconsolable child. (At this point, I still just thought she was being ridiculous and clingy.) Not that alone time is bad, but my heart behind it was ugly. I'm reminded of Philippians 2:3-4,

3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; 4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. (NASB)
And Ephesians 6:7,

7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people (NIV)
My heart hasn't been that of a servant's. And I hate seeing that in myself. I so hate being reminded of my own sin.

Meanwhile, Lilleigh fell asleep on her daddy's shoulder, but again, freaked out when he tried to put her in the crib. After a few times of this, he read her a few books and brought her into our room. I came in there as well. And right as I was thinking, we really have to get some sleep, the light bulb went off. My child was totally happy to read stories with her daddy or to lay on his shoulder or to sleep in any sort of upright or weird position. She just freaked out for diaper changes and sleeping in her crib - anytime she's lying down. Could it be an ear infection? I began to Google. She wasn't rubbing her ears or anything, but that was the first thing that actually made sense. Yep, it checked out. Fever, not wanting to lay down, lots of drainage (teething).

I ran to get our garlic drops. We put them in her ears - with a fight. Then I got a warm wash cloth and placed it over both ears, while Daddy held her still. I'd already given her Tylenol AND Hyland's teething tablets. (Hyland's is homeopathic. Don't worry, I'm not overdosing her!) We turned off the lights, and she started to settle down, propping her head up on us, but still falling asleep. I knew we were bound for a terrible night's rest, with her in our bed, but any sleep sounded glorious at this point. A few minutes later, Brendon got a text from a friend, saying to try Camilia (another homeopathic remedy). This helps teething and ear infections. Soothing, really. So he got on his iPad to see what store would have this in stock and is open at 10:30. Walgreens around the corner. Again, glorious. He quickly got dressed and got in the car. When he got home, we gave Lil some Camilia drops and put her to bed in her crib. She did one quick cry, and then rolled onto her side to sleep. Hallelujah! This was at 11:15. She slept till 7:35, no peeps.

Problem solved. Darn, ear infections! We skipped Bible study this morning, so we could both nap. Rest is a beautiful thing. In fact, I hear her now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Bubs!

March {in photos}

Peanut butter and jelly